Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Activities Ahead!

So, apologies for the gap between posts lately, getting back into the groove post-holidays.  I wanted to share some upcoming activities, for this week and the rest of the month.


  • The 5th Brooklyn Scouts will be having its first open house tomorrow, January 9th from 6 to 8pm at the Brooklyn Society for Ethical Culture, 53 Prospect Park West.  According to the communication I received, the group is a charter of the Baden-Powell Service Association, an alternative, fully-inclusive, community-oriented scouting program.  It is fully volunteer run, with a focus on outdoor activities, community service, and the tenets of traditional scouting.  I'm not going to be able to go myself, but hope to learn more and share it.
  • One Million Moms for Gun Control will be hosting a march and rally on Martin Luther King Day, January 21st, at City Hall.  More details to follow!  Martin Luther King Day, which is also inauguration day this year, is the national day of service.  Here is a list of some service activities in the area.  I know I'll be headed over to City Hall with my daughter, so come join us.
  • On January 26, at 1:30 pm at the Marcy Branch of the New York Public Library, Raising the Village will be joining with the Brooklyn Public Library to host an event for kids to make book marks and bring favorite books to donate for kids currently living in shelters.  More details to follow shortly.
  • There will be another trip to the Masbia Soup Kitchen on February 2nd, organized by Hannah Senesh Community Day School.  It was a really good experience the last time we went, the kids were real contributors to the group effort.  If you're interested in signing up, send an email.
We are going to be doing a number of these events, so I'll be posting pictures.  Heck, I may even tweet.  You can follow me at @NancyFishman1.

No comments:

Post a Comment